Esther House of Stanly County, Inc
For such a time as this...Lives will be changed.
Sexual Assault is the sexual exploitation, forcible penetration, or an act of sexual contact on the body of another person, male or female, without his or her consent.
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men have experienced an attempted or completed rape
- Sexual assault or forced sex occurs in approximately 40-45% of battering relationships
- Every 107 seconds an American is sexually assaulted
- Each year there are about 293,000 victims of sexual assault
- 68% of sexual assaults are not reported to police
- 98% of rapists will never spend a day in jail
- 2/3 of sexual assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
- 94% of the perpetrators of sexual abuse against boys are men
- 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused
The rapist isn't a masked stranger.
73% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by a non-stranger, with 38% being a friend or acquaintance.